Company History
Production Plants
Certification

Company History
1925 The Paul und Bruno Gräfendorf cordage and net manufacturing company is founded. The product range of manufactured goods includes a broad variety of cordage articles such as packthreads, ropes, nets and rope swings.
1938 The name of the company is changed to Bruno Gräfendorf Seilerwaren-, Netz- und Basttaschenfabrik (cordage, net and bast bag manufacturers).
1946 The director's role is passed to Hilmar Gräfendorf, the son, who founds an OHG (partnership). At this time items like cordage, sports equipment, nets and bags of all kinds are manufactured.
1955 The focus is moved to bag manufacturing and the company is renamed Grädo
Taschenfabrik (bag manufacturers).
1958 The first link to car making is established via application of the HF soldering process in bag manufacturing.
1960 The first research and development tasks are performed for the Wartburg and Trabant brands.
1965 The current CEO Joachim Kümmel joins the company as technical manager.
1970 With polyutherane becoming available in former East Germany, the PUR foam production can be launched. The first foam-padded armrest is developed.
1972 The company is expropriated and nationalised to form the VEB Plastverarbeitung (cooperative for plastics processing) Schlotheim.
1990 Reprivatisation is applied for.
1991 In parallel, the company is relaunched as Kümmel Fahrzeugteile (vehicle parts). With the first door coating parts for the Volkswagen Golf III, real leather moulding is included in the product range.
1999 The company is reformed as Kümmel Fahrzeugteile GmbH & Co. KG and the sons Stefan and Christian Kümmel join the company management.

 last modified: